Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Lovely Prime Rib Dinner


Hello everyone! I've got another good recipe for you all! This one includes a perfectly juicy, tender prime rib roast, cooked slowly over an afternoon, roasted asparagus with a lemon butter, and tasty mashed potatoes with gravy. Mmm!

I'd never "slow cooked" a roast before, but after trying it, I will never crank the oven up to 350-400 ever again for a beef roast!

I started off this dinner by seasoning the bejesus out of the roast with plain old salt and pepper in preparation for a good ol' sear in the frying pan. Oh yeah, and always start with meat that has been out of the fridge for a little while and is room temperature!



Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a large frying pan until it is almost smoking, then throw in your roast and sear it up until nicely browned on all sides.



If you've got a nice roast with the bones in, place it bone side down in the roasting pan you've got out. The bones act as a roasting rack! Also, the fattiest side is usually opposite of the bones, so during the cooking the fat will drip down over the entire roast making it delectably juicy.



Heat your oven to just 200 degrees F, and season your roast how you like it. I used an army of fresh rosemary, which i pounded with the back of my knife to release the flavour and then finely chopped, and loads of fresh garlic (and even more salt and pepper).



It smelt soo good already before it had even entered the oven!



Then, roast away! Put the lid on your roasting pan, pop it in the oven, and forget about it! For a couple of hours, at least... I put mine in at 2:30 in the afternoon and it was a perfect medium rare at about 6:30 just in time for dinner. It came out beautiful!



For the asparagus I put them in the oven for about 30 minutes at the low 200 temperature, and they were a bit crunchy, but I like them like that for some reason. I topped them with butter I had melted on the stove top combined with the juice of half a lemon. Yum!


To make the gravy I combined the drippings from the roast with flour and water on a hot stovetop, and then added in the bits of roasted garlic that had escaped from the sides and top of the roast. This little touch was soo delicious!


And there you are! The perfect directions for a perfect roast. Enjoy!

xoxo

Mariel

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Back in action! I am inspired to get my ass in gear...I MUST cook this week; end of story!

Great post

A Canadian Foodie said...

I love prime rib. It is the only one I buy. But, I swear it is my father's mother's old enamel roaster that makes my roasts turn out so perfectly every time. I fill it with garlic, cover it not so liberally with Montreal Steak Spice, put the lid on and roast at 350 for 20 minutes a pound. No peeking. It is perfect. Absolutely fantastic every single time. This grandma died before I was two, but I cherish the roaster and fell connected to her because of it.
Sunday roast it the best. Anyone is welcome; the more the merrier. A great family and friend day.
YUM. Thank you for this post.
:)
Valerie

Post a Comment