Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Cilantro Broth


More recipes! This one is a good one. I made this a couple nights ago after reading about something similar in Bon Appetite! while waiting for my brother at the orthodontist's office...


We had a gigantic package of mussels waiting to be eaten in the fridge, and it's smart to eat mussels sooner than later! Therefore, we had a midweek seafood feast this week! Here's the recipe!

Mussels in a Spicy Tomato Cilantro Broth

about 2 pounds live mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
2 bottles of clam juice
3-4 tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped 
2-3 tablespoons cayenne pepper, fresh or powder
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion

Bring to a boil in a large stock pot over high heat: the clam juice, chopped tomatoes, cayenne pepper, tomato paste and lime juice.
Lower heat, pop on a lid and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Bring to a high boil again and add in your cleaned mussels.
Sprinkle the cubes of butter over the top of the mussels, put the lid back on, and let steam until the mussels have opened, about 4 minutes.
Add in the chopped cilantro and green onion and toss into your mussels!
Serve immediately with fresh crusty bread to sop up the broth!


This simple recipe was so flavorful, fresh tasting and delicious! It really satisfied my seafood craving (which I get often), and I helped myself to multiple servings...
Enjoy!

xoxo

Mariel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks amazing! The recipe sounds so wonderful. What a great summer night meal! Have a lovely weekend!

Chef Aimee said...

I always forget how easy mussels are to make at home - what a great recipe you have to prepare them here!

Bianca said...

I love mussels; sometimes I gripe about having to work so hard for my food. But after I swipe the bowl clean with french bread, I remember the effort is completely worth it!

Great post!

Post a Comment