Thursday, December 17, 2009

Biscotti and Friends and Ovaltine


Hello All! So, here I am, sitting in from of the T.V. watching one of the best shows of all time...Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. I'm really hungry. However, I'm ALWAYS hungry watching this show! I am getting some good (and artery clogging) ideas for future posts...redneck sushi anyone?? Doesn't that sound incredible? Sushi made with pulled pork. In other words, two of my all time favorite foods together in one beautiful meal. I will try it!

What I tried today, however, was a little more traditional. The only thing I baked today was some biscotti, although it may just be the most delicious thing I have ever baked to date. I am about to share with you the most incredible biscotti recipe I have ever come across (with a few modifications I tossed onto the original recipe). Get ready to seriously impress anyone who tries these!





Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

1/4 cup light olive oil
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup pistachio nuts

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Mix together the olive oil and sugar until well blended.
Add the vanilla and almond extracts, and the 2 eggs.
Combine the flour, salt and baking powder, then gradually mix into the egg mixture.
Add the 1/4 cup of water , the dough should be very sticky, yet thick.
Mix in the cranberries and pistachios.
Heavily flour your hands before working with the dough. Divide the dough in two, and form a log out of each half and place these on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the logs are a golden brown colour. When they come out, they should already be fairly hard at this point.
Remove from oven and set aside to let cool for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 275 degrees F.
After 10 minutes, cut the biscotti diagonally, into 3/4 inch thick slices. Replace the sliced biscotti onto the lined baking sheets, placing them on their sides (like in the picture).
Bake for 10-15 minutes in the oven, or until dry.
Cool and enjoy!





If you wanted to dress up these biscotti you could dip or drizzle them in melted white or dark chocolate. They are phenomenal on their own too though! Honestly the most delicious and rewarding biscotti recipe I have ever tried. They come out so professional looking! Trust me, I have tried different biscotti recipes every Christmas, and the damn things always come out so "home made" looking (which isn't a bad thing), but it is nice to have such pretty little biscotti for once, to give for gifts etc!





Anyways, that's the only baking I did today! I had such a relaxing day, and now I am continuing to relax with these little food network evening I am treating myself to! I am also sipping on a nice mug of Ovaltine (the best night time drink ever). And look at this gorgeous mug I get to sip it out of! I love this so much...Adrienne made it! Gorgeous home-made Christmas present. Thank you Adrienne!





I think it is so pretty so I had to take multiple pictures...





Yum! Anyways thats all I've got recipe-wise for today! I have a feeling I will be baking up a storm tomorrow trying to bake some things to bring to Parksville (I work really well under pressure/last minute). Goodnight everyone!

xoxo

Mariel



0 comments:

Post a Comment