Friday, January 22, 2010

Trying Something New

Hello folks! So this is a little catch up post from yesterday... Enjoy!

Yesterday when I got home from school I was absolutely ravenous, so I wanted something quick,but healthy, too. I looked into the cupboard and was reminded of the Israeli couscous that we had picked up at Bulk Barn (which I've been dying to try)! I know that regular couscous is done in a snap...so it seemed like the appropriate time to try this variety out!

Here's how to prepare Israeli couscous (it is so nice not having to type out the instructions)! If you click the picture, it will get much larger, so do that if you are having trouble reading the tiny print!





I was surprised at the differences between cooking regular and Israeli couscous! This variety is much more like pasta in the preparation department.

Since I was the only one eating, I only did 1/4 cup of couscous (with 1 cup of water). That was the perfect amount for one person! I can't believe how much this stuff makes once it's cooked!
Here it is simmering away:





While I was waiting for the couscous to finish cooking, I munched on dry roasted almonds and listened to Bon Iver (probably the best music to cook to, ever).





I also rummaged around the fridge and cupboard to see what I could pair up with the couscous to make a complete meal! I found left over Greek salad (which was perfect).





And a lovely little can of yellowfin tuna in olive oil! I also grabbed a bunch of cilantro to add an extra little sumthin' to the dish.





It was so tasty! I love the texture of this couscous so much, plus it has a much less "nutty" flavor than normal couscous, so it could work with a much wider range of dishes!





A filling, complete, healthy meal! I just stirred the left over salad right into the hot couscous, along with the fresh cilantro. After that, I just plopped the canned tuna on top, added a little salt and pep, and it was delish!





For dinner last night, my wonderful father made a chicken pot pie (i LOVE this meal) using left over pie dough (from the monster pie a couple days ago). I love my dad! It was incredible...as always!





I had some MORE left over Greek salad with dinner. I don't mind eating so much Greek salad though...I love anything that's got a ton of garlic in it!





Yesterday was full of unique and wonderful flavors. I definitely recommend trying out the couscous! You will be pleasantly surprised. Anyways, it's about time to go and cook up tonight's dinner! Happy friday everyone!

xoxo

Mariel

0 comments:

Post a Comment